Thursday, July 19, 2007

Connecting with Nature

I found Larry's comment on my post "Life's Surprises" very wise. When I was young, I spent most of my time out-of-doors, chasing butterflies and exploring the woods. I developed a deep connection with nature, which I have done my best to express through my work. I believe children have a natural attraction to nature, especially to animals, and that they need to be able to experience the natural world first hand. Sadly, most children nowadays in the United States don't have this opportunity. I'm just beginning to read "Last Child in the Woods," by Richard Louv, which discusses this tragic trend. I would hope that children reading my books would respond to my love of nature by seeking out outdoor experiences for themselves. What could be more thrilling than the fox in the meadow
or the blackbird in the marsh?

No comments: